January 21, 2014

live the question


Today marks the beginning of the end. My very last first day of classes...ever. I can't believe that in one hundred and sixteen days from now I will be graduating from college (but who's counting?). It's crazy to think that not only will college be ending, but so will my school days in general. I will no longer be a "student."

I'm so incredibly excited to start a whole new chapter of my life and see where my life and career will take me, but as of this moment...I'm also incredibly stressed. As of right now: I have no job lined up after school, I don't know where I will be living, and so many other unknowns. In a way, even that stressful stuff is exciting though. I'm trying my hardest to look at it all as these amazing opportunities without expectations. I'll still get stressed (let's all be honest with ourselves), but as someone very near and dear to my heart once told me I'm learning to "live the question."

Those words have stuck with me for years since a very smart man and good friend of mine told them to me. I think it's a lesson we can all learn. We get so caught up in the stress of the big picture and getting to the end point that we forget to cherish the moments where we're figuring out the answers. So I'm going to just take a little snapshot of what this semester will be like in the process of figuring it all out.

This semester I am taking fifteen credits (five classes). I'll be taking Human Communication and Technology, Nonverbal Communication, Marital and Family Communication, Persuasive Media Writing, and Media Graphics. I will still be involved as the Fundraising Chair in Ad 2 Milwaukee. I'm planning to continue looking for any internship opportunities as well as searching for my first job after school. I will once again be helping plan the second annual Ride for Autism Speaks - Milwaukee. I will still be serving at the same restaurant I've been working at since I was sixteen. It is going to be an exciting next one hundred and sixteen days, if I do say so myself.

(...and I do...say so myself.)

What "question" are you living right now? How do you cope with getting through the unknown? Any tips for a soon-to-be college grad?

No comments:

Post a Comment