December 3, 2013

for the times when stress takes over


As many times as I've been through finals, they still manage to put me in a funk every semester. Anxiety and stress is something I really struggle with and I have to admit, my stress levels have really gotten the better of me the past couple weeks. I've been looking for solace in all the wrong places and that, in turn, has just made me feel worse. The only true place to find peace in times of stress is in God's hands and I lost sight of that.

"But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." - Jeremiah 17:7-8

I took some time away from homework last night to talk with God. I organized my thoughts, let myself sleep, and realized that I am more than capable with the help of God...and a lot of coffee. I am more than capable of finishing this semester strong regardless of how many papers and projects have yet to be finished. I am more than capable of paying my bills because God will provide. I am more than capable of finding peace.

"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:30-31

I tend to get caught up trying to control my life which I think is the fundamental problem. It's something I'm really working on letting go of. It is God that determines my steps, not my own plans or anyone else's. Today I pray that God opens my eyes to the paths he has set before and that he bless me with endless amounts of trust as I walk down those roads with Him. I pray that he give me the determination, focus, and strength I need to finish this semester and then set my sights toward Christmas to celebrate Jesus' birth.

I pray that you are all having a blessed holiday season and are able to spend time with family and loved ones. I pray that you are able to find the same peace, joy, and trust in God during this often stressful time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment